Monday, August 2, 2010

Settled for the moment, and liking it!

I've finally arrived in Taos, where I will be staying for about a month to complete my internship at Earthship Biotecture. Taos is a funny place; it is very New Mexico, but also very artsy....I'm not even sure what that means, since the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I guess it's just not what I expected. It's a thriving little mountain town with tons of art galleries, coffeeshops, etc. Like New Orleans, all this would not be possible without tourism...

I am living on a farm/garden called Talpa Gardens, home to Jeff and Tania, and it is a lovely little place. I sleep in a yurt, shower in a solar shower (with a short window of time for warm showers...usually 4-7pm), and have wifi, hooray! There are dogs and cats and chickens and ducks and manure/compost that smells something awful if you're downwind from it, and lots and lots of veggies. There is also another intern staying with me at Talpa, Joe, and we work ~1hr a day for Tania and Jeff to compensate them for staying with them. I've only been on the road for about 2-3 weeks, but it's definitely nice to be staying somewhere for more than a day or two at a time. I feel like I have a place I want to and can go back to everyday. In fact, I said "I'm headed home" today from work on the earthships, as though it were a more permanent thing...weird...

No comments:

Post a Comment